Meeting for Business April, 2017

The Meeting opened with a moment of silence.
The March minutes were read and approved.
The treasurer’s report was read an approved.
Two roof estimates have been obtained including shingle and steel roof options. The Meeting is more inclined toward metal roof due to its longevity and lower cost. Garry will ask his brother-in-law, a metal roof manufacturer, for information about whether there are any problems with installing metal roof over old shingles. The Meeting empowered Buildings and Grounds to make the decision of roof type and color
Report on the indoor cleanup day. The upstairs was cleaned, windows washed, curtains hung, and a bookcase moved from hospitality room to Meeting Room to further open-up the hospitality room.
Sunday April 30th is outdoor cleanup and indoor set up for the Interfaith Group May 3rd.
The smoke alarms are found to not be hard wired, are 10 year old and at the end of their life span. Buildings and Grounds will address this issue.
The tag sale will be held Saturday May 13th from 8-2. Liseli, Ami and Alexander can be there to staff the Meeting table. If people have things they want to sell they need to be in attendance and remove unsold items at the end of the day. Baked goods will be sold at the Meeting’s table. Mark, Michele, Deb, Buffy, Liseli offered to bring baked goods. coffee, tea will also be available.
State of the Meeting Report presented by Buffy. The report was approved and Buffy will send it to The Yearly Meeting office. The report is attached.
A discussion was held about MVMM becoming more involved in the Sanctuary Movement. Mary Ellen will convene a group to discuss this issue.  If people are interested contact Mary Ellen. Liseli, Buffy, and Michele volunteered. David and Deb were also volunteered. A book on Sanctuary Sites is available at the Meeting House. Please read the book prior to first Meeting. Liseli will attend the Interfaith Matters Group Monday to get more information on things that are happening in our area.
We are Hosting the Utica Interfaith Group Luncheon Wednesday May 3rd. Buffy, Liseli and Michele are hosts. More seating is needed inside and out and volunteers to provide food. Barbara, Mary Ellen, Liseli and Buffy can bring food. Mark offered extra parking in his driveway. Ami will help Buffy with set up on May 2.
MVMM is hosting QuED Saturday May 6th. Five people need hospitality Friday night. Liseli and Buffy can host 3 or 4 people. Mark and Deb can host one. Mary Ellen can possibly host one.  Mark will help with breakfast (scones, fried potato dish). Alexander can provide internet and lunch (soup, bread, salad, dessert). Ami will provide childcare if needed and is hoping to attend part of the day. So another person will be needed for childcare as well. We are predicting 10-12 people.
York Fund applications for educational expenses are due May 1.
The next Meeting for Business with be May 7,2017.
The Meeting closed with a moment of silence.
Posted in Uncategorized | Comments Off on Meeting for Business April, 2017

Meeting for Business March, 2017

Meeting for Business
March 5, 2017
The Meeting opened with Gathering silence and a reading from Living Thoughts of Great People by Eknath Easwaran.
The Minutes were read and approved.
The Treasure’s report was read and  accepted.
Buildings and Grounds:
Indoor clean-up day will be March 19th. Outdoor clean-up day will be April 30th.
A discussion was held on updating the smoke detectors. This will be followed up at a later Meeting for Business.
The gym report: A treadmill, a stationary bicycle and a rowing machine will be installed in the taped off area on the floor. People are invited to go and look at the space. Painting can happen after the equipment is in. The plan was approved.
One Estimate for the roof replacement was presented. We will get additional estimates and also consider the possibility of replacing the roof with volunteers. Roofers were suggested by Barbara, Mary Ellen and Alexander. Liseli will get in touch for estimates after she is given the contact information of these recommended roofers. The money for the roof will come out of Friends Fiduciary Fund.
The Heaters have been running more than they need to. There are now notes on each heater explaining how to turn the heaters on and off. We will evaluate how this works over the next month. If we continue to have problems we will contact Mirabito after the April business meeting.
A discussion was held on seating in the Meeting Room. The current chairs take up a lot of space, but are welcoming. A mix of chairs in needed for individuals comfort.
The Use of the Meeting House for Outside Groups was reviewed.
Liseli  has resigned as Recording Clerk as of June 2017. Deb  will be recording clerk starting in June 2017.
The Flea Market date will be Saturday April 29th, 2017 from 8-2 at the Meeting House. Members or attenders who want to have a table to sell items will be charged $5. There will be a meeting table where baked goods can be sold. Deb and Michele will be primary organizers.
An initial discussion of Pass Through Accounts was held. These accounts are used by some meetings for their members who have a public ministry. These Meetings take donations to that ministry. The donations then could be used as a tax deduction because it went through a Not For Profit organization. Individuals would get a letter from the meeting at the end of the year for their donation. A person who has a public ministry needs to be a member and have a care committee in the Meeting. Donors would need to ask for a letter for tax purposes from the treasurer. Is there any accountability for the money? Are receipts needed? Does it need to be addressed now or do we wait until there is someone who is called and has a Care Committee? This will be re addressed in the future.
A discussion was held on the Meeting as a Sanctuary site. A Copy of information on Sanctuary Sites is available at the Meeting House for loan so that we can read it and educate ourselves on the issues. This issue will be revisited at the next Meeting for Business.
The next Meeting for Business will be April 9th (note change to the
second Sunday of the Month)
Posted in Uncategorized | Comments Off on Meeting for Business March, 2017

Meeting for Business February 5, 2017

The Meeting opened with gathering silence and a reading from Opening Doors Within by Eileen Cady.
The minutes were read and approved.
The treasurer’s report was read and accepted.
Michele and Deb will plan a fundraising event at the Meeting House in the spring.
Buffy will request from the Keeper of the Calendar, a physical calendar of Meeting House events to be kept at the Meeting House.
Buildings and Grounds Committee:
Gym equipment is being donated to the Meeting. The Equipment needs to be measured and a plan made and brought to Meeting for Business. The Equipment will be available for use by all members of the Meeting. The cost of heating the space will need to be addressed by those using it. It was suggested that painting the walls would be best prior to the machines being brought in. The physical plan will be brought back to March Meeting for Business.
A Meeting house work day is needed before The Interfaith Group meets at the Meeting House May 3rd. The original March 26th date for the indoor clean-up will need to be rescheduled due to a conflict. March 19th will be for indoor clean-up; and April 30th will be the outdoor clean-up and indoor set up for the Group. Buildings and Grounds will provide a written list of things that need to be done.
The roof will need to be replaced this spring and we will get an estimate of the cost to replace the roof from the roofer who tarred and did minor repairs gratis this fall. If enough people can be found who can help with the work, we will still consider replacing the roof with volunteer labor.
The Meeting sent a letter to Witness Coordinating Committee requesting funding for support of members who had gone to support the Standing Rock Sioux. WCC approved the request and the check will be sent back to the Meeting.
We revisited the 10 am start time of the Meeting. The 10 am start time is approved.
Ami has almost finished sewing the curtains for the children’s room and needs help putting up the brackets and rods. Liseli volunteered to do this.
Michele, Liseli and Buffy attended Quarterly Meeting in Oneonta, NY. A thought provoking play on drones was presented with four varied characters speaking from their own perspectives about drones. (A college student, her mother a drone operator, a senator and a peace activist.) Drone operations are taught at MVCC and drones may be built at Griffiths in Rome, NY.
A discussion arose about the possibility of having one Sunday per month one of Worship sharing. It was considered by some to be helpful to have more structure occasionally in Meeting for worship. The Next three months on the 3rd First Day we will have Worship Sharing instead of Meeting for Worship. Friends will bring forth their concerns and leadings and if none presents Ami will present a query. The dates will be February 19th,March 19th, April 16th. February 16th will be a query on the State of the Meeting.
The next Meeting for Business will be March 5, 2017
The Meeting closed with silent worship.
Posted in Uncategorized | Comments Off on Meeting for Business February 5, 2017